Mold Cause & Prevention

Mold is a serious concern for many families. If untreated, mold can cause severe respiratory troubles for humans and pets, and can even lead to death in extreme cases.

What is Mold?

Mold is a fungal growth that can attach itself to most any surface. It is actually an essential element in the natural environment, helping to break down dead leaves and other organic materials. Once inside a house, however, mold spores — which are typically invisible to the naked eye — can wreak havoc on your home and family members.

Inside a home, mold is typically found in damp and dark areas, such as the:

  • bathroom
  • kitchen
  • storage areas
  • basement
  • areas with poor ventilation
An example of mold inside a home

Health Complications

Many people who have come into contact with mold believe they are “just sick,” or experiencing stress-related symptoms. They may experience:

  • watery and itchy eyes
  • rash
  • chronic cough
  • sinus trouble
  • severe headaches / migraines
  • difficulty breathing

This can spark severe allergies — sometimes likened to hay fever symptoms — and even asthma in some people.

How Can I Eliminate Mold From My Home?

Unfortunately, it is impossible for the average homeowner to completely eliminate all mold and mold spores inside. Even if you are somehow able to remove most of the visible mold, the invisible spores will still be present.

Plus, areas like your couch and other furniture may still contain mold spores in cracks and crevices that are not visible to the naked eye.

This is why it’s important to contact a professional mold service to clean up your home. The company will provide a thorough test and eradication of all mold and mold spores, including from the heating/air conditioning system.

Ensuring Permanent Mold Removal

If the necessary steps to completely remove mold from your home are not taken, there is a chance that you will suffer another outbreak.

Also, depending on the severity of the mold problem, you may not be qualified or equipped to tackle the job on your own.

Mold technicians are trained and certified, and must wear special protective suits, including hoods, boots and gloves, goggles, and respiratory devices.

by Gregg Fahrmand 
Building & Architecture Consultant
Residential Life Magazine


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.